Signs of fleas
Fleas are tiny, blood-feeding insects that can infest pets and homes. Recognising the signs of fleas is essential for effective flea control. Here are common signs of fleas:
- Flea Bites on Humans: While fleas prefer to feed on pets, they can also bite humans. Flea bites appear as small, red, itchy bumps, often with a single puncture point in the centre. They tend to cluster on areas of the body with thinner skin, like ankles and lower legs.
- Itchy Pets: One of the most noticeable signs of fleas in your home is if your pets, such as dogs or cats, are scratching, biting, or grooming excessively. Flea bites can cause intense itching for animals, leading to hair loss and skin irritation.
- Visible Fleas: You may see adult fleas crawling on your pets or hopping in areas where they rest or play. Fleas are small, dark brown to reddish-brown insects, typically about 1-2 millimetres in size.
- Flea Eggs and Larvae: Fleas lay eggs on their host (your pet) but they can also fall off into your pet’s bedding, carpets, or furniture. The eggs are tiny, white, and oval-shaped. Flea larvae are tiny, worm-like creatures that feed on organic matter found in these environments.
- Jumping Fleas: If you disturb an area infested with fleas, you may see them jumping or hopping. Fleas are known for their strong jumping abilities.
- Household Flea Infestation: If you have a flea infestation in your home, you may notice a sudden increase in fleas indoors. They can be found in carpets, rugs, pet bedding, upholstered furniture, and cracks or crevices in flooring.
To address a flea infestation, it’s essential to treat both your pets and your home. Consult with your veterinarian for effective flea control products for your pets. For your home, call S&S Pest Control to carryout a survey and treat the pest problem.
How we deal with fleas
It is very natural to feel anxious or uncomfortable when you think pests are in your property. Be confident that S&S Pest Control can help you professionally eliminate these pests.