Signs of moths
Moths are common household pests that can infest your home and damage clothing, textiles, and stored food items. Identifying the signs of a moth infestation is crucial for effective pest control. Here are common signs of moths:
- Visible Moths: One of the most obvious signs of a moth infestation is seeing adult moths flying around your home. Moths vary in size, shape, and colour, but they often have a dusty or powdery appearance on their wings.
- Larvae or Caterpillars: Moth larvae, commonly referred to as caterpillars, are the immature stage of moths. They may be found crawling on surfaces or hiding in dark, secluded areas. Caterpillars can vary in colour and size, depending on the species.
- Damage to Clothing: Moth larvae are known for feeding on natural fibres like wool, silk, cotton, and fur. If you discover holes, chewed fabric, or frass (faecal pellets) on clothing, carpets, or upholstered furniture, it could be a sign of a moth infestation.
- Webbing: Some moth species produce silk webbing as they feed and move. You may notice thin, silky threads or small, irregular webs in affected areas.
- Cocoons: Moths typically spin silk cocoons to pupate into their adult form. Finding silk cocoons in clothing, drawers, or storage areas is a strong indication of moth activity.
- Damage to Stored Foods: Certain moth species, such as Indian meal moths, infest stored food products like grains, cereals, dried fruits, and pet food. Look for webbing or larvae in your pantry or food storage areas.
- Larvae Feeding on Plants: Some moth larvae, like the caterpillars of the cabbage moth, feed on plants in your garden. Look for signs of damaged leaves or chewed foliage.
If you suspect a moth infestation in your home, it’s essential to take action to control and prevent further damage. Consult with a S&S Pest Control for professional assistance in eliminating the infestation.
How we deal with moths
It is very natural to feel anxious or uncomfortable when you think pests are in your property. Be confident that S&S Pest Control can help you professionally eliminate these pests.